Thursday, June 12, 2008

Saying Goodbye...

It's interesting to me that God refers to his people as His body...His family. I look around and see families that are broken and relationships within that are like enemies. I realized even more tonight how blessed I am to have a family like I do. My parents did such an incredible job raising us and as much as I hate to say it, my mother was always right. She told me one day I would grow up to be close to my brothers and actually love them. I definitely did not believe her back in the day...but now, I do. A family is the closest type of relationship we can have with people, next to a marriage and I've seen how close my family has gotten over the years. Tonight was really hard, believe it or not, to say goodbye...or seeya later as I'd rather put it. For so long, I've wanted a little niece or nephew to mess with and finally God has blessed me with one of each. As I rolled on the floor tickling Ezra and totally messin that kid up, it hit me...next time this happens, I might have to reintroduce myself to him. All this time of developing a relationship with this guy, will soon be gone and we'll have to start over. I'm praying this doesn't happen and I know I'll get to see him at the end of the year, but it still was hard to say goodbye. I know my brother and his family are doing what is right and what God has called their lives too. But sometimes God's calling isn't the easiest thing...typically it isn't. Being a youth pastor was not an easy calling...still isn't, but you accept it and trust God. So now, I have to trust God, that He will protect my family and keep them safe as they are over there and He will bless their ministry to the African people.

Hugging Ezra one last time as he says "Bye Uncle Gabe", then hugging my brother - probably that hardest things to do today. I make it sound as if I will never see them again, I will. But for some reason, this is all different...they're not just a phone call away, they're not just an hour drive away. I got in my car to leave, and you know the feeling like you need to cry, but you're fighting it? Yah, I had that going on and it was hurting. I know I'm an emotional guy so that is all normal. But when you have a 3 year old look at you grinning and wanting to play with you, running up to you and sitting on your lap and to hear him say your name...you don't want to let it go.

I'm not sure why I'm writing all of this on this blog...maybe so my brother can know what him and his family mean to me, maybe so my parents can see that they were right (once again), I'm not really sure. Just know Joe, you will be missed (not just for Ezra!) but now mom and dad will come see me all the time instead of you :-) Just kidding mom and dad, I love you guys! I think I need more time alone, more time to really say "Seeya later" and know that this is all part of God's orchestrated plan for our lives and that He knows what He is doing and that all of this creates a beautiful masterpiece which He has designed for our lives. You guys are loved, showered in prayers and truly missed....I love you guys

1 comment:

jr said...

Gabe,
We keep your guys' picture up... and everyone is talked about quite often here. I need to get you on skype sometime and just call in... I'm proud of you man, you guys are going to do amazing things (you already are).

love you bro,
joe