Monday, February 9, 2009

The Great Bus-capades!!

The ski trip is finally over and I'm home! To say it was an eventful trip, would not be enough to describe what all happened. Everything up to the drive home was pretty normal, good conversations with kids, picking on the kids, everything fun we could do, we did. I had a great time. But then it was time to leave, and since I was the bus driver, I was not looking forward to the drive. I was tired and just wanted to be home. Then a girl tells me she left something - side note - how come no matter how many times you tell kids to check to make sure they have their stuff, they never do it? I have a new appreciation for parents of teenagers after this weekend. I could tell you some ridiculous stories of teenagers just being idiots! Anyway...since this was a girl, I didn't have the heart to say no, so we pulled off since the hotel was on our way home anyway. As we were getting ready to get back onto the interstate, I felt my steering wheel get a little tight. I wasn't sure if the power steering was bad or what, so I stopped to get out and check it. Everything looked ok, so we continued on down the road. As we're going down the interstate I see I-94 but it says toward Chicago, so I didn't think we should get on there. Once I passed it, Joel told me that's where I needed to go, because it split and I would end up heading east. Since the bus was just not feeling right to me, I decided to take it down another exit for some reason where there was a gas station. As I was pulling off the exit ramp, my steering was getting harder to do. Then a buzzer went off saying "no air pressure" - I have air brakes, so that meant "you have no breaks right now". With a bus full of 22 kids, I was praying hard. The light was coming up and I remember praying "God, put your hand in front of this bus and stop this before the intersection." If I could take a picture of where the bus landed, you would believe God heard me. I was 1 foot behind the white line...safe.

At this point, my body is kind of freaking out. I have never driven a bus on a long trip like this before, and the first time I do it, it breaks down. Ok God, what's the lesson? I did everything I knew how to do on that bus and there was no way it was going to work. When I opened the hood and knew it was the air compressor, I remember praying a funny prayer. Is it weird to pray over an air compressor? Not last night it wasn't! But it didn't work. I always hear stories of how God does some crazy awesome things in situations like this. So when the air compressor just wouldn't work, I almost started to laugh thinking "What are you going to do now God?"

A nice lady and her family finally stop to help us and give me the number to a wrecker so I can get it towed. When we finally get that set up with the wrecker, I called the police. There was nothing in sight of the bus that was safe to walk to with the kids, so I needed the cops there to help us stay safe and legal. As I feel like we're getting somewhere with a plan, God begins to work. A man starts walking towards the bus, I get out to greet him jokingly ask, "are you the bus mechanic I was praying God would send me?" Obviously, he wasn't, but he kept asking me questions about who we were, really not much about the bus. He then said something that about got some tears out of this guy. He said, "I go to church right over there. They're having church right now, but there is a youth room that we could put them up in. We also have a bus, I can see if they'll come pick your kids up so they can get out of here safely" Wow.

In the meantime, I had called our bus mechanic from Anderson. He and his wife had already started the 4 hour drive to pick us up on a different bus. The sad part is, we would get home around 3 in the morning. I felt so bad about all of this, but obviously it was all out of my control.

The kids were great in the church. That church's youth was still around, so they were playing games and stuff with them. The church bought everyone pizza and they were just having a great time together. I, on the other hand, was stuck out in the cold with the wrecker waiting on them to send a bigger truck. We made some conversation and I got to know his story a little bit. But I was looking forward to getting home so much more even now.

I got to the church and was greeted by everyone! Everyone was so great to us. After a little while of us being in there, the youth pastor came and asked if we wanted to try and meet the bus that was coming up there which would safe a couple hours. (YES!) So to try to wrap this up, we met our bus and got home around 1 in the morning.

Think God doesn't know what he's doing?
-a girl forgets her stuff, causing me to pull off the interstate (this is when my steering felt funny)
-I miss our exit
-I skip the following exit (not really sure why - now I know why)
-Our bus happens to stop before the white line
-there just HAPPENS to be a church through the trees next to us that we couldn't see
-there just HAPPENS to be church that night
-the guy who helped us (I left this out of the story), should not have been on that road, but he got a call from his son that night and ended up passing us twice (once on the way home, then on the way back)
-His church just happened to have a bus...and the bus driver was at church that night
-They bought us food
-Our bus mechanic and his wife were going to drive 8 hours total just to pick us up

Everything happened exactly how God wanted it to. You can see how all these events just happened to unfold like they did. But it was no coincidence. When the kids left with that church and I was alone before getting on the truck with the wrecker, I had a very real moment/encounter with God. I had a few tears (I was fighting it!), but I saw Him working right in front of my eyes. It was just moment after moment after moment.

I could've reacted different and gotten upset or whatever I was feeling. But in those moments when you're scared cuz you have no options and you don't even know what to do, you can find peace when God says, "Be still and know that I AM GOD". Powerful...last night was powerful, I hope the kids see that. Definitely a memory maker. Sorry this was so long, it was just an incredible time last night.

Now I have to figure out a message. I'm speaking to 5th graders at Libby's school today!

1 comment:

larryboy said...

WOW!!! Well documented! Why don't we (I) pay attention all the time? I (we) have no clue what amazing things we miss moment by moment. Thanks for taking the time to post this!