Thursday, January 29, 2009

I debated writing this blog because I was scared I might offend people, but then I realized, it's the offended that need to read this.
This week I had to go to a bus school to learn bus safety and all that fun stuff. I'm doing it for the church, don't worry, I'm not quitting to be a bus driver! But as I sat in a class of 70 people, I looked around at everyone eating their donuts and drinking their big gulp coffee and it hit me how fat america is. You see it on the TV, you hear about it all the time, but does anyone do anything about it? Libby and I have gotten into watching the Biggest Loser and it has been inspiring for us. There's not nearly as much junk food in our house, we both are going and working out together. I don't just do weights anymore, I'm trying to get my body fat actually down. While this is good for the 2 of us, i can't help but think about the countless others who just don't care. I see people around me that are overweight and they blame it on genetics. If you think about it, it is genetic. Mom and Dad are lazy and overeat, so I guess that's what I do too. So genetics are things passed down to your kids. What kind of example do your kids have in front of you? This hit me this week. I have a horrible sweet tooth. If I could eat only desserts and be ok, I would!! I love dessert and snacky junk food. But I also love the thought of being healthy enough to run around with my kids, to keep up with them. Not just that, but for my future grandkids. I know that is a LOOOONG way off, but when will I decide to get into shape for that? For some, it's too late. Being healthy starts now, no matter where you are in your life, you have to make the decision to get on the right path. I know 30 minutes a day is tough to think about, but I think it's tougher to think about your kids or grandkids growing up not knowing you.
There's a lot I'm thinking about and I'm sure not everything is very clear in here. My biggest point is just to challenge people to think about their bodies. You only have 1 body, whether or not you like it, it's yours to take care of. How are you treating it? If you can't afford a gym membership, get an at home thing - I recommend the P90x video series. I promise that if you stick with that, it will work and you will lose weight. I talked to my trainer about it and it's been the trend lately to do, and for good reason! It's an awesome workout program and will hopefully help motivate you and get you on the right path for healthy living. I'm sure not many people even read our blog, but I'd love to be a part of helping America not be so fat! So quit reading this, get off your butt and go move around :-)

No comments: