Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Embracing Truth

So I've been on a kick with some worship music lately. One of my favorite things to do in my car alone is to turn on Shane and Shane and just sing it out! Don't laugh, you do the same when you're alone! But there is a song that gets me every time. It talks about how the devil is whispering in our ear that we are cursed and the penalty for our sin is death. How true. It's so weird to know that the devil is right! But the ending is cool because they say how he's forgotten one thing...one very important thing, "JESUS SAVES"

This got me thinking and I've been thinking about this for a few days now. Normally I write while things are burning in my heart and I just need to get it out. But instead, I've been spending time seeking in my own heart what I believe, what I feel like God is trying to teach me. What I have come to realize is that we miss it. I have friends of mine that like to get into theological debates all the time and convince each other their way is the right way. There is nothing wrong with discussing theology, I believe it stretches your understanding and it's a good thing. But when we get into the liturgical stuff of today's church, there is a huge disconnect between God and the church that He came to save. We are his bridegroom and we let that slip past us too many times.

What am I getting at? I don't care how you take communion, how you pray, how you worship, how you are wired spiritually. I care about you understanding the relationship we have with Jesus Christ. He says, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." Period. That's it. It's about a relationship with Him. We won't always get it perfect, we'll make mistakes along the way. But do we ever look at the relationship He offers us? We get too wrapped up in the details of things and trying to always be right. Instead, we just need to be, to exist, to be in love, in relationship with our Heavenly Father.

If we pause for just a minute and really look at the love of God in our lives...what will that do to you? It wrecks me today. I'm in my office right now listening to a song called "How He loves us" and I can feel that burn in my eyes because it messes me up. I know how much I love my wife and to know I want nothing more than to be near her, to be close to her and to never see her hurt. When I even imagine it, it hurts me. To know that God loves me so much more than that. I pray I never lose sight of what He has done for me. We are in a relationship - do you treat it that way? Or do you treat it like a business, doing what you know needs done so you can call yourself a Christian for the day?

When you encounter the love of God - you should never be the same. Embrace Him, Embrace the Truth. Embrace it and know His love for you.

No comments: