Thursday, September 11, 2008

Victory in the Struggle

You know what's funny to me...this blog thing was Libby's idea...when was the last time you wrote on here?! :-) I guess I'll keep everyone up to date with what is happening.
Libby is teaching in case you haven't figured that out and she is the best teacher I've ever seen! I'm a little partial though. I'll let her write on here what has been going on with that.
Youth has been going very well. We are getting ready to launch our youth service for the year. We had some complications with the facility so we've had to wait longer than we want...but I think I deserved a little break. It's cool to know how much I love my job though because I want to be doing it now!! But our wednesday nights have really picked up. I've been getting to know the high school's football team a lot better and we're getting a good turn out from the players and seeing some really cool things happen there. here's a story...
There is a kid, we'll call him Bob. I met him probably when he was a freshmen, he's a senior now. Never really got to know him because he didn't go the Bridge, but I try and get to know as many kids as I can in the schools whether or not they do go to the Bridge. Well, a lot has been going on lately in his life. For instance, he found out recently that the dad he thought was his dad his whole life, is not really his dad. They had a blood test done on his step dad and his "Real" dad to see....turns out, it's not his dad, his step dad is his biological dad. That'll mess a 17 year old up! Then a good friend of his who is in high school, has a stroke or something go wrong and he dies. So this kid is hurting. Luckily, the place where we do youth, the guy is one of his coaches! So he comes out to youth and we actually connect really well. So I've been bonding with him a little bit and it's been cool to really be a part of his life. Last wednesday when I was talking, I felt like I needed to share what a relationship with God is about. I normally don't go deep on wednesdays because it's more of a time for kids to bring their friends. But I couldn't fight it, I could tell the Holy Spirit was prompting me to do this. At the end, I had the kids pray with me and then look up at me if they prayed with me. He was one of those kid!! Praise God! It was so cool. Then I got to talk with him after youth more and I can just tell he needs someone. So he's been another kid I've been investing in. That's the victory we experienced in the trouble. He was having a troubled life but was able to experience a cool victory! I'm kind of excited about that! :-)

Here's my issue...here's where you can pray. I love what I do, wouldn't trade it for the world right now. But I think my heart is getting too into it. Is that possible in ministry? Apparently it is. There are long stories which I won't get into right now...but I'm struggling with 2 kids right now. One of them is this guy that has been around for a little bit and is a senior now. He's been real distant lately and I've heard rumors of him doing things on weekends, just stuff that isn't like him. When I was talking to him at lunch today, he treats me like I'm nothing. He has that "I'm too cool" attitude. I think the issue is that he thinks we're more buddies than we are mentors/protege relationship. So he talks to me like that. Sometimes I don't have an issue with it because I want the kids to know I'm their friend and I care about them. But there is a deeper issue there and I'm letting it bother me right now. I know this is confusing, but I think I just need to write it out. But I could use prayer on this. I don't want to see this kid slip away...but I'm struggling with what is going on right now.

There are lots of stories like this, of kids that I just don't get what is going on in their head. I want to help them, but I think the age thing is an issue. It's hard when I'm only 6 years older than some of them. I know I'm in the right place...I think I just need some time away. I need time to reconnect with God and know His place for me in their lives. When we have 100 different youth, it's hard to get my place in each relationship when they are all different. It'll all work out...I just need prayer. The enemy hates me, hates what we're doing, hates to see all these kids turning towards the light. People think I have the easiest job, going to schools, hanging out at football games and just being with kids. But I don't think people realize the spiritual darkness there is. There is a war going on for these kid's hearts and I'm in the thick of it. I'm daily battling the enemy for my heart for God, and for these kids. You may not see it if you sit in an office all day at work, but until you get on the battlefield, this is real. I take joy in the fact knowing that I am fighting on the winning team. It's a cool realization to know that the battle is won, victory over the enemies is happening. We just have to get through the battle to the other side. Until the day I go home to be with my God, I'm fighting and daily I have to equip myself to not let the enemy take my thoughts captive. That's my heart, that's where I'm at right now...be praying because I am feeling weak in this moment.

1 comment:

Phylee said...

"Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

Praying for you guys. Gabe- I think part of the darkness you're feeling is the same darkness that is making you feel weak. I have never seen you more on fire for what you're doing...and in a year, I haven't seen this many lives being changed because of your ministry either. Keep going, brother! God picks up where we leave off...our work is never finished with us.